Friday, May 8, 2009

Pear-ific

There is something rather comforting about warm poached pears during the thick of winter...

This morning I woke up with the coldest of noses and figured it was a "porridge" morning (also due to the fact that someone in our household forgot to get a loaf of bread last night after work!)


I cooked my porridge the special way (1/2 milk, 1/2 cream) and boiled some water, plopped two pears (cut into wedges - with their skins still on) into the saucepan with a table spoon of sugar, for about 5 - 8 minutes.

Ohhh I love the smell of warm pears, maybe it's because my mother use to feed me it "mushy" style when I was a younger bird... good memories.

Once the pears had gone slightly gluey looking, I drained them, left them to cool (to touch) and peeled off the skins, popped them into the porridge bowl, zapped them for 30 seconds in the microwave and sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar.

YUM.

No comments: